If you are a religious joint pain supplement taker, you must have encountered the name Glucosamine. It is a common ingredient found amongst joint pain supplements or vitamins. But one may question, what really is it? What does it do? Is it safe? What are the best glucosamine supplement for knees or for our joint pain in general? We shall answer this one by one.
Glucosamine: An Overview
Surprisingly, do you know that Glucosamine naturally occurs in your body? Right, you read it without a doubt, it is already a chemical found on your body which can be found around the fluid in your joints. Aside from the instance that it can be found naturally in your joints, Glucosamine can be found on shells of shellfish, if not, it can be artificially produced in laboratories.
There are different types of Glucosamine: glucosamine sulphate, glucosamine hydrochloride, and N-acetyl glucosamine. Sure they are all glucosamine, but quite frankly, these forms have different effects on your body when taken in a form of supplement.
How Does It Work?
We have already established that Glucosamine is a chemical found in the human body. It is used by our bodies to produce other glucosamine forms that are apparently involved in the building tendons, ligaments, cartilage, and the fluid that surrounds our joints. Joints are surrounded by the fluid acting as a cushion of protection. Certain individuals with osteoarthritis, their cartilage breaks down, becomes thin and very pliable. This then results in joint friction causing pain, and stiffness that makes one suffer from total discomfort. Researchers believe that taking in glucosamine-rich supplements may either increase the production of the protective fluid surrounding the joints and cartilages or help keep the breakdown of these component, or maybe both.
Is It Safe?
Generally, yes, it is safe. But to be extra careful, one must take special precautions before taking supplements containing Glucosamine. If you are/have:
- Pregnant or breast-feeding – This chemical may produce adverse effects during pregnancy so one should take note of this.
- Asthma – There has been a particular incident in the past that an asthma attack was triggered.
- Diabetes – Earlier research suggested that Glucosamine may raise levels of blood sugar.
- Shellfish Allergy – Since other pharmaceutically produced Glucosamine are made out of shellfish, people who are allergic to such might react upon taking this.
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
What are the Best Glucosamine Supplement For Knees?
Here are some of the most known Glucosamine Supplement for Knees:
- Zenwise Health Advanced Strength Joint Support
- Doctor’s Best Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM
- Arazo Nutrition Joint Support Advanced Formulation
- Horbäach Glucosamine Chondroitin with Turmeric & MSM
- Zenesis Labs Glucosamine Sulfate Chondroitin MSM
Benefits of taking Glucosamine
- Delay the advancement of osteoarthritis
- Relieve pain
- Increase in the production of the thick fluid found around the joints
In conclusion, whichever brand or type of Glucosamine that you will take, you should always consider consulting your doctor first. This is to ensure your safety and health.